Saturday, September 24, 2016
CYBERTERRORIST GETS SHOT FOR BELIEVING THE STUFF ON REDDIT: here's what you need to know
In case you missed it, at the very end of season 2 of Mr. Robot, Elliot got shot because he thought Tyrell was another hallucination.
Turns out Tyrell has been alive all this time, and he's real.
So now all the people who didn't believe Reddit's "Tyrelliot" theory are getting all in our faces, saying they be all that and yo mama and such.
But ffs, it was the right thing to do to assume Tyrell was just a hallucination. All frickin' season, Sam Esmail has been screwing with our heads:
- The "Elliot's been in prison all along" mindfuck of the first half of the season.
- For several episodes in the second half, he put "inconspicuous man" and "inconspicuous woman" in the credits, then purposefully put them in the blurry background of half a dozen scenes so that the more rabid fans would find them and start asking what was going on.
- Having Cisco and Darlene gunned down in the third-last episode, except the blood-spatter that seemed to come from Darlene was actually from an exploding ketchup bottle if you watched frame-by-frame, and when the sign on the diner blew up it went from reading "Lupe's" to reading "Lies".
- When Tyrell gets into the cab in the second-last episode, Elliot asks the cab driver if he's really there and the cab driver doesn't respond.
- A bunch of other stuff, I forget.
- Tyrell also looked different and talked different in that second-last episode.
- And most importantly, we were told several times that Mr. Robot killed Tyrell, and we've already got a lead character who hallucinates people.
Given all of the above, why shouldn't we have believed Tyrell was just a hallucination?
So now we find it's not true, Tyrell was alive all season and hiding out in a warehouse planning Stage 2 (which, as it turns out, definitely does not involve time travel). And Elliot got shot for reading Reddit. And Sam Esmail is cackling in the background.
Oh well. More broadly speaking, we were all worried before the finale that Esmail was piling on far too many twists and the show was turning into a bullshit mindfuck like Lost; so it's nice that Esmail did tie off so damn many loose ends in the final episode (Tyrell's alive, Scott Knowles was the one phoning Tyrell's wife and sending her presents, Darlene is alive, Stage 2 is blowing up the records building, fat guy and Iranian girl made it out of town alive, the inconspicuous duo were working for Whiterose and not the FBI). Even nicer, he tied much of it off in the first 15 minutes.
After cleaning up much of the old storyline, though, Esmail did still give us a few questions to ponder over the winter: is Leon about to kill fat guy & Iranian girl? Is Angela working for Whiterose now? Do the FBI have enough to arrest everyone? But at least the show hasn't turned into Lost. And there's no fucking time travel, thank god.
And personally, I think the Reddit drama of the past few weeks is proof that Esmail and his friends are on Reddit, anonymously posting mindfuck theories to drive their obsessive fans to watch the show over and over looking for clues.