In your opinion, what does this blog need more of?

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Some newsbits


Did my calc exam last week, but I still don't know how I did. I probably got at least an A- in the course, but there might be some bell-curving, so I have no idea.

But now I need to spend the rest of August reviewing intro algebra (which I last took almost 30 years ago), and getting a head start on stats, calc II, and "math for economists". Plus I need to go to the dentist for yet another broken tooth, and do half a dozen other things around the house. So I'm still busy, I just feel lazy.

I think I'm also going to start a second blog, just for economics. I have one at university, but it's on the private system so I'm sure nobody reads it (except for maybe a couple profs); I'd like to have one set up so that I can include its url on my grad school applications.

In the meantime, here's some news:


New Deal Demoncrat - weekly indicators. Again, everything's fine. Panties: quit piddling them. And as an aside, I was watching Nightly Business Report last night, and they had some guy on who was a rare voice of reason. You're well served to ditch all the bullshit internet & TV business news, and just stick with NBR.

Reuters - global negative-yielding debt slips to $11.4T. And, importantly, that's about how much money Gabriel Zucman estimates is being held in tax havens by the kleptocratic elite and multinational corporations. Whence I developed my thesis that "secular stagnation" is really just what you get when the kleptocrats have won.

Guardian - Sir Humphrey Appleby explains Brexit. For the "Yes Minister" fans out there, written by the creators of the series, which btw should be required material for anyone studying political science.

No comments:

Post a Comment