In your opinion, what does this blog need more of?

Monday, September 21, 2015

Some news


Had to do a lot of reading this weekend, and now it's back to school, so hopefully this news will tide you over til next I post:

New Deal Demoncrat - weekly indicators. Still no problems. Tax withholding is still indicating a strong US economy, as are gasoline prices, intermodal, and total railloads ex coal.

New Deal Demoncrat - the housing permit surge reappears. Quote:
I'm gratified that the corrected information shows new highs in permits, and that August is still higher than any other month except for the May-June spike. Along with real retail sales per capita and real money supply, this is why I am increasingly confident that our economic expansion will continue through the third quarter of next year.
That's because new housing is a large component of investment, and Y=C+I+G+NX. With real retail sales per capita (C) also up, and NX no longer facing a USD headwind (see below), the only problem left is G, which (wouldn't you know) continues to be attacked by Republican saboteurs. Because they hate America.

Chronicles of Brodrick - about that US dollar "uptrend". There hasn't been one since March. Um, Sean... I think I've been pointing that out since maybe April. But hey, if it's one thing you can be sure of, it's that there'll always be loads of empty space on my bandwagon.

Tim Oliver - half of development-stage NI 43-101 studies lack engineering rigour. I might send this to my own company's mining engineering department - though I'd expect we're not the problem in the industry, given the famous Sudbury-area mining engineering firm we bought out years ago.

Bob Lefsetz - ad blocking. I'd like to note that until I bought a wifi-capable tablet I didn't even know that YouTube had pre-roll ads! Maybe that's due to my desktop having had Adblock Plus, Ghostery and NoScript installed on it since the beginning of time? Wow, you guys have had a really sucky internet experience all this time, haven't you?

BTW, Carl Sagan predicted adblocking... can't find where right now, I think it was in Contact. In his version, a bright audio engineer notes that TV commercials are produced with an extremely high level of audio compression, which is what gives them a loud volume compared to regular programming.

The engineer builds a device (pretty simple to make actually, in theory at least) that, upon detecting audio volume above a certain dBFS, turns the TV sound and picture off and keeps it off til the loud ads are gone. He sells it and makes a fortune. TV advertisers scream blue murder until they realize they could just quit being cunts and turn the ad volume down to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment