Thursday, November 27, 2014

EVERYTHING HAS GONE TURVY-TOPSY: you won't believe what happened next!


So, I just got laid off from work this afternoon.

No big deal: I've got a severance cheque coming, I have quite a bit of savings, and in fact there might be an even larger chunk of money on the horizon.

And I already know a bunch of places where I can go to look for another job tomorrow, doing the exact same thing: there are only maybe 20-40 people with my skills in Ontario, and (it being engineering) the number dwindles by the day because of the present demographic-driven wave of retirements in my field. In fact, my old engineer already offered to get me a job at his company.

Then again, I have more than enough money to go back to university, and was once interested in doing a Ph.D. in sociology.

Then again then again, there was once this loony, years ago, who suggested that I start my own paid investment newsletter. That'd be good for a lark, wouldn't it? After all, I can blather on at length about charts, I have opinions on markets and gold, I know big words, I type at 60wpm, I find it easy to ignore my own incompetence, and I know where to download a PDF file creator program: what the hell else do you need?

But for the time being, I'm happy that I dumped my junior miners on seeing the roll-over (and before being told I was laid off) today. Being unemployed means shifting to a more conservative asset mix - in particular, one that doesn't drop 50% on a whim.

More importantly, I want to notify y'all that posting may be light for perhaps the rest of this week, or perhaps next week too: there's a large collection of newly-purchased liquor and a Buffy The Vampire Slayer box set that I feel a desperate need to become acquainted with.



12 comments:

  1. You don't need the big words. The rest, check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, I'd advise against big words. Try to keep it below three syllables. Remember, your target audience here is people who's life goals include being on 'Preppers'.

      Delete
  2. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

    But not really. Go get plastered, sort it out tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grab a few bottles of scotch and a ticket to Peru and bask in the spring warmth while hanging out with Otto! You two are like long lost relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell whisky here, y'know. So, just the ticket required.

      Delete
    2. There's round about 40 bottles sitting 5 feet from my couch. Come on over.

      The weather is here is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Were you happy in that job?

    It seems market commentary is more your passion.

    How many hours a week do you spend on this blog?

    That and making fun of goldbugs. Hilarity ensues!

    Do what you want, you got the cash. If that don't pay you
    could always go back to the grind.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in just one day I've seen my stress level utterly disappear. Engineering is stressful if you let yourself care about the quality of your work, and I did.

      I speend far too much time on this blog. It really is a major hobby, and I do enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for putting in the work on this blog, it is a top notch read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck. Please make your blog affordable if you go private

    ReplyDelete